Monday, August 24, 2009

Chicken Salad Recipe

Like always, I find something I like and make it into the ground! My latest offense, North Shore Chicken Salad. I first tasted this mixture of deliciousness when I was working at Children's. One of the dietitians brought it to a pot luck and holy moley, I was in LOVE! Another dietitian said really loud during the lunch, I'll never forget, "I love the way this feels in my mouth!" To which all the other dietitians laughed and replied, "That's called mouthfeel!" So bottom line, it has great mouthfeel, which is a dietitian tag word, so you might not totally appreciate that story, but I thought it was so funny!! It also has great color, so its presentation is beautiful!OK, here's the original recipe online.

http://www.chefonthegoinc.com/recipes/north_shore_chick_salad.htm

But here's how I make it, mostly the same, but with just a couple modifications. And I always make a big batch, so you could totally half this and be set! But it's a little bit of work, so I like to get my money's worth, so to speak.

6 chicken breasts, boiled and cubed
2 boxes of long grain and wild rice, cooked
2 bell peppers, red and yellow
4 green onions, chopped
1 bag of shelled edamame* (or two bags of edamame that you have to shell yourself)
*You could substitute sugar snap peas, cut in half. That's what the original recipe called for.

Dressing**, mix all in a blender:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
2-3 garlic cloves
couple squirts of dijon mustard
LOTS of salt and pepper
**I usually don't use all of the dressing, there might be a little left over, but 1/3 cup each doesn't seem like quite enough. So just use enough to wet it all. (You'll be adding a few more things before serving, so keep that in mind, it will soak up a little more dressing. You can use any left over on chopped tomatoes and cucumbers as a side on another day.

It's good to let this all sit in the fridge and let the favors mix together, but if time is of the essence no big deal!

Before serving, add:
2 avocados, cubed (if you quarter, then peel the skin off, it's easier to cube)
3/4 - 1 cup roasted pecans, chopped (bake for about 5 minutes at 350 degrees)

I think that's about it. By the time it's all done, it takes about a good hour! This is my rule of thumb in the kitchen because I hate exact measurements, when in doubt, more is better - i.e. more pecans and more edamame, NOT salt. I always under salt because I'm scared to over do it, which can obviously ruin a good recipe. Plus, people can add that at the table. I know Hubby always does, and I NEVER take offense. (Read NEVER with sarcasm!)

Y'all let me know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment