Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Baby steps

This dog and I are taking baby steps.




He's still on my nerves 95% of the day and I would love to get a shock collar. Seriously. Remote control! But I'm seeing slow (like snail slow) progress. It is progress nonetheless.





He still suffers from a horribly weak bladder, but that's even improved ever so slightly. He's completely entitled to get on my furniture, eat/steal food off the table, naw on my kids, bark and occasionally nip at guests. He wants out in the morning at 5:30. He enjoys watching the sun rise. It's like his morning coffee. When it was raining this past week he didn't know what to do with himself and was especially annoying. His wet nose keeps all my windows in a perpetual state of smudgy. Even the tvs, because he has to bark/attack those every once in a while too. Whatever it is dries hard and is difficult to get off. I could go on. And I will.





He's like a defiant child. He seriously looks at me like, "why don't you make me, b*#%@?" Those are the times I want to swear like a sailor. Oh wait, I do. Out of ear shot of my children, of course! ;)





I've tried to beat it all out of him using an array of 'spankers' as Teagan calls them - newspaper, a belt, my hand, yelling. Oh the yelling. Sick of the yelling.

What works for him, I'm still trying to figure it out completely, is to praise him continuously and let him do it on his time. Now that I spell it out like that he sounds like a typical man....

Baby steps. We're taking them. And one day I might even like this dog.


No comments:

Post a Comment