Monday, May 2, 2011

Lentil Soup

Presley and Teagan had gone over to Addy's house about a month ago and while they were there, they had dinner - lentil soup with cornbread. I couldn't even tell you I've ever had lentils, but Alison said Presley ate two bowls full (with crumbled cornbread in it, of course). I was obviously surprised. Over the next couple of days, Presley kept asking me to cook what she had at Addy's house. So I did and while me and Presley are big fans, Teagan and Price only tolerate it. It's so easy, which is one reason I'm a big fan. You don't have to soak the beans, they cook within 30 minutes, and they're healthy! I've made it once a week since then. This last time, Price put a temporary ban on it. I do tend to find a dish I like and then wear it out! So I'm taking a break from making it for now.

Here's Pres adding her favorite ingredient - cornbread!






So anyway, I thought I would share the recipe. Y'all know I don't really like following a recipe, and it changes each time I make it. But here's what I (and Alison) do.

Lentil Soup

Sauté chopped garlic, yellow onion, carrot, and celery (if I have it) in olive oil. Add salt and pepper. Once all that is soft, add the lentils and water (follow package instructions) and probably more salt and pepper. :). Bring to boil and then let simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. I usually thicken with corn starch when it's almost done.

While that is cooking, I make some jiffy cornbread and stick in the oven. They both get done about the same time.

The girls cool their soup by adding ice cubes, stirring it up and watching them melt. They love that part!!!

Price is giving me a hard time for sharing this recipe, but I would love for other people to share their easy, healthy recipes that their kids actually eat! (That last part is the real kicker! It doesn't even have to be super healthy!) So if you have any good ones, please by all means, SHARE!

One more thing that I want to share. Granted I am 17 weeks along now, and clearly I'm favoring salt over sweet and some people might be sick of hearing about my obsession with corn right now. But I can't get enough of roasted corn. It's in season right now. Throw some corn with the husks (green means ripe) and all in the oven preheated to 350 degrees. Cook for 30 minutes and then peel and doctor with butter and Lawry's seasoning salt. Chase it with a cup of water!

No comments:

Post a Comment